Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Overview
Krieg DeVault is committed to acknowledging, understanding, and implementing diversity initiatives to establish Krieg DeVault as an employer of choice, a leader in high quality legal services, and a partner with its diversely dynamic clients and community. We believe that the talents and viewpoints of a diverse legal team create the fulfilling professional environment that has brought us consistent recognition as one of the best places to work in our home state of Indiana. At Krieg DeVault, diversity is part of our long-term strategy – not a short-term program.
Recruiting and Retention
Krieg DeVault believes that diversity in our workplace brings out the best in people. When experiences, ideas, and knowledge are gleaned from varying perspectives, effective solutions to the practical, business, and legal issues our clients face can be achieved. Commitment to diversity means we actively seek to attract and retain talented professionals whose collective efforts not only enhance the services we provide, but also ensure the continued success and viability our firm has enjoyed for decades. Krieg DeVault is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, disability, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a disabled veteran or other veteran or military status, or other status protected by law. As the facets of our community, clients, and firm change, we are keenly aware that a proactive approach, including leveraging the advantages of a diverse workforce, helps us keep pace with and meet the challenges of today and the future.
Why Krieg DeVault?
Key Partnerships and Initiatives
- Annual participation in the Indianapolis Bar Association Diversity Job Fair
- Partnering with clients to provide monetary scholarships to diverse law students
- Krieg DeVault Annual Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Scholarship
- Partnership with Cook Ross Consulting to provide on-going Diversity, Equity and Inclusion training for Krieg DeVault employees
- Hosting Black Law Student Association (BLSA) Mixers at Krieg DeVault’s downtown office
- Krieg DeVault Women in Action plans events and activities that relate to the overall professional development of women lawyers at our firm. This group also supports our firm's continued efforts to attract and develop a pipeline of successful women lawyers at all levels and have a voice in the design of firm initiatives related to the recruitment, retention, development and advancement of women.
- Krieg DeVault Minorities in Action develops annual social events for minorities in the firm to informally gather, develop relationships and discuss topics relevant to their communities, professional experiences and personal interests. Additionally, we annually select a charitable organization in our community and complete an activity that supports that organization's mission.
- Krieg DeVault's Talent Integration Program is an initiative of the firm's Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee designed to facilitate the retention and progression of minority attorneys. It is intended to enhance intra-firm communications to proactively address work assignments, training opportunities, mentoring, formal evaluations, informal feedback, and the integration and natural matriculation of minority professionals in the firm.
Through this initiative, we promise to listen by encouraging internal and external discussions on the issues of racism, inequality, and injustice. We promise to learn by promoting tangible resources that foster a deeper understanding of the systemic racism and the legal injustices plaguing our Nation, as well as other challenges related to bias and prejudice. We promise to engage by supporting the Black community and other marginalized groups in our communities through community service, financial investment, and by advocating for the dignity, respect, and safety of all. We promise to continue to explore new ways to listen, learn, and engage on these important community issues.
In The News
- Krieg DeVault proudly sponsors the Indiana Bankers Association 2020 Banking on Women Conference
- Krieg DeVault is a proud Ruby Level sponsor for the Riverview Hospital's 2020 Women of Vision event
- Krieg DeVault’s Julia Carpenter & Shelley Jackson discuss our quest to Listen, Learn & Engage with each other, our clients & our community as we work toward positive & lasting change
- Krieg DeVault’s Shelley M. Jackson speaking at “Call to Action” for racial equality
- Krieg DeVault's Message of Unity
- Partner Julia A. Carpenter Named Krieg DeVault's Chief Diversity Officer
- Julie A. Carpenter Selected for "Professionalism Award" from the Indianapolis Bar Association
- Amy M. Levander has been named a 2019 Women of Influence honoree by the Indianapolis Business Journal
- Nicole Keith has been named Up and Coming Woman in the Law by the Northwest Indiana Influential Women Association
- Krieg DeVault Minorities in Action volunteer with the Villages of Indiana to give back to the community
- Krieg DeVault hosts Law Student Diversity Mixer
- Krieg DeVault Awards Scholarship at Indianapolis Bar Association Diversity Job Fair
- Attorney David E. Corbitt Receives Indianapolis Bar Association's Board of Directors Award for Outstanding Leadership in Diversity
- Rabb Emison Award from the Indiana State Bar Association Committee for racial diversity in the legal profession.
- "Diversity in Practice” award from the Indiana Lawyer for the firm’s continuing efforts to strengthen and promote diversity.
Our CORE Values: Commitment | Ownership | Respect | Excellence
Through our CORE Values, we stand committed to each other and to every client, and pride ourselves on integrity, professionalism, respect, and excellence, which are the hallmarks of our Firm. We value respect, cooperation and teamwork, excellence in client service, uncompromising ethical and professional behavior, and a genuine commitment to the communities that have contributed so much to our Firm’s success. We thrive on being inclusive and value the opinions of all of our lawyers and staff. Although we work hard, we strongly believe in and support a work-personal life balance, flexibility, and the pursuit of personal interests and community involvement.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee
The Firm's Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee is committed to maintaining an inclusive firm culture that embraces and advances a diverse workforce reflecting our clients and communities. The basic goals that define how we practice law – effective solutions, personal relationships, global perspectives – are better reached when the diverse strengths of our workforce reflect the broadest possible perspectives, experiences and backgrounds. Our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee is made up of professionals across the firm with diverse experiences, backgrounds and involvement in the community.