Intellectual Property Litigation
Our U.S. and international clients rely on Krieg DeVault to enforce their intellectual property rights. Supported by our patent attorneys who are registered to practice before the U.S. Patent Office, and their broad technical backgrounds, our IP litigators represent our clients in litigation involving patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets. We combine all these strengths to enforce our clients' intellectual property rights.
- Successfully defended patent infringement claims relating to equipment and engine health monitoring brought against our client by a non-practicing entity. The case involved four patents, including over 20 independent claims relating to systems and methods of engine health monitoring. The case was in Eastern District of Texas and was resolved with a confidential defense settlement.
- Our client’s competitor used misappropriated trade secrets to provide aftermarket goods and services. In addition to the trade secret misappropriation claim, the competitor asserted antitrust and tortious interference counterclaims. We obtained a successful summary judgment ruling on liability for trade secret misappropriation and on the antitrust and tortious interference claim. We tried the question of damages to a jury in federal court in the Western District of Missouri The competitor then appealed the decision. The District Court’s judgment was affirmed in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit.
- Represented a client in a trade secret misappropriation case resulting in a confidential settlement. The adverse party subsequently sued our client for breach of the settlement agreement, claiming a violation of a non-disparagement provision. We successfully tried the case in federal court in the Southern District of Indiana, resulting in judgment in our client’s favor. On appeal, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit affirmed the District Court in all respects.
- Our client manufactures water treatment chemicals. A competitor sued the client in the Northern District of Indiana for trade secret misappropriation and related business torts. One of the issues involved was which party had the exclusive right to use proprietary processes to manufacture a water treatment chemical. The litigation was favorably resolved through a consent judgment.
- Our client owned federally registered trademarks. We pursued a California corporation that was operating an online business that facilitated individuals selling their own tee shirts that infringed our client’s registered marks. Suit was filed in federal court in the Southern District of Indiana and was resolved favorably for our client.
- We represented a defendant in a patent infringement suit filed by former supplier of the client. The case was resolved through acquisition of the patent-in-suit for a nominal sum after establishing that the named inventor acquired the invention through disclosure by an employee of our client.
- We represented an international electronics company in defense of a design patent, trademark, and trade dress infringement suit in the Western District of Wisconsin.
- We represented an international audiophile company and enforced its trademarks for loudspeakers against a competitor’s infringing activities resulting in a favorable short-term license followed by a ban on future infringements.
- We represented an international audiophile company and enforced its trademarks for automotive video and sound systems in an opposition proceeding before the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, resulting in the opposing party abandoning its trademark applications.
- Successfully litigated multiple patent infringement and trademark infringement lawsuits on behalf of a multinational manufacturer of roofing material. On each occasion, litigation was filed in federal court in the Southern District of Indiana and was resolved favorably for our client.
- We defended our client in a copyright infringement case and obtained dismissal with prejudice of the federal claims and an award of attorneys’ fees incurrded in defending the case.